PR is an important tool when it comes to establishing your reputation as a Stylist and attracting new clients to your business, but hiring a PR consultant or company can be costly, and probably not in your start-up budget. The good news is that there are some simple, yet effective PR strategies that you can use without the need for an expensive consultant that will help build your reputation and grab the attention of potential new clients.
1. Show your expertise - Positioning yourself as an expert in styling, or your specific styling niche, is a great way to attract new clients. One way to do this is to start writing articles for fashion publications or those in your niche area. Anyone can submit articles to be published and it costs nothing, other than your time. Identify the publications that you want to approach, ones that fit with your brand and are viewed by your target clients, and email your articles to the editor (contact details can be found on their website or in print magazines).
2. Think local - Most local communities have a local newspaper (print and online). Your local press can actually provide you with some great coverage for your business so don't be afraid to reach out. Think about approaching them to write a style column on a regular basis or send them details of events or workshops you may be holding. You could even submit a press release about your business launch in the local community.
3. Run a competition - Competitions are a great way to gain attention, build up your contact list, and get free advertising. Contact fashion publications with a competition offer. If the prize is equal to the cost of the advertising space they offer they will not charge you a fee. If you're not ready to go national, then use your local community media or run a competition on social media. Another great option is to use the subscribe function on your website to allow people to enter to win.
4. Volunteer for a charity event - local charities are always looking for volunteers to help and they sometimes hold charity fashion events that you can help out at. Offer your styling services in exchange for your logo being displayed or your flyers being available at the show. You could also work with a charity where your styling services could be beneficial. Early in my career I worked for free with a breast cancer charity and offered a post-mastectomy styling event. There are many ways to use your skills to help a charity and generate some positive coverage for your business so look for opportunities that help support a cause that's close to your heart.
5. Become an expert guest - Podcasts provide the opportunity to show your expertise and reach potential new clients. If you don't have your own podcast then make a guest appearance on someone else's show. Search for podcasts that are aligned with your brand and reach your target audience then contact the host to discuss topics that would be beneficial to their audience. You could also be a guest on Instagram Live sessions or even be a guest writer on an established blog if podcasting isn't your thing.
Reputation is so important when it comes to building a successful styling business, so be sure to take the steps now to start building yours and establish your credibility as a personal stylist and business owner.
Ready to start your career as a Stylist or take your Styling business to the next level? Enroll now with The Style Academy International.